Cannabidiol, more commonly known as CBD, is the latest trend in skincare products. Legions of skincare experts are enthusiastically extolling their benefits.
Poko, we believe that CBD can do everything research says. This is why we’ve developed an entire brand based around CBD skincare.
However, as with all new skincare ingredients, we understand that this can be slightly overwhelming. This is why we’re happy to walk you through what the science says, and how introducing CBD in skincare can support your skin’s health and balance.
An introduction to CBD
CBD is one of the many botanical compounds known as cannabinoids, founds in hemp and cannabis plants. Don’t let the idea of cannabis plants scare you off. While THC is a naturally-occurring compound in hemp plants, CBD is extracted using three specific methods:
- Carbon dioxide extraction
- Steam distillation
- Solvent extraction
This is to ensure that CBD is extracted separately from THC.
Although CBD is found in both hemp and cannabis plants, it’s much easier to source CBD from hemp plants, as hemp plants are legal. Additionally, hemp plants cannot have a THC level higher than 0.3-0.2%. Any plant with a higher level of THC is legally considered cannabis.
To further reassure you, your body produces cannabinoids, known as endocannabinoids, on its own. You can also choose to supplement your body’s natural CBD supply. This is where CBD in skincare, food, and tinctures come into play.
CBD dosage 101
All CBD skincare products are formulated with either full-spectrum CBD, broad-spectrum CBD, or CBD isolate. We break down these terms in detail here.
CBD foods and supplements like CBD gummies or CBD-infused popcorn list the amount of CBD they contain, per serving. Figuring out the perfect dose of supplements can be tricky, so we’d recommend consulting a CBD dosage calculator. A dosage calculator will ensure that you’re taking the correct CBD oil dosage.
CBD skincare products are classified as topicals. This means that they aren’t consumed, like CBD foods on tinctures, and are simply applied onto your skin.
CBD dosage in skincare products tends to be higher than products for consumption. This is because when being applied topically, the CBD percentage needs to be higher to ensure maximum effectiveness. As topical products cannot enter your bloodstream, CBD skincare products with a higher dose of CBD are generally safe to use.
CBD in skincare
Even if you take good care of your skin, there’s always room for improvement. CBD could be the one factor that elevates your skin, giving you that summer glow throughout the year. Here are some of the way that CBD can help support your skincare goals and heighten your skincare routine.
- Antioxidant: Plant-based antioxidants have become a skincare staple, and CBD is a viable contender. CBD is rich in antioxidants, and when it’s consumed or applied, it sets off the cannabinoid receptors in your system. This helps to boosts your natural ability to fight free radicals with the potential to cause premature ageing.
- Balance: CBD in skincare adds a neutralising aspect to your skincare routine. It can return balance to your skin. This makes CBD skincare products a great option for when your skin is trying to adjust to colder weather.
- Calming: CBD’s soothing properties make CBD skincare products suitable for every skin type. If you’ve exfoliated a little too often or a little too hard, a CBD-infused moisturiser might be perfect for taking the sting out of things.
The addition of CBD in skincare is suitable for all skin types. Not only does it have phenomenal moisturising benefits, but a regular CBD skincare program can also stem excessive oil production.
Adding CBD skincare to your routine
Regardless of whether you’re consuming CBD supplements or tinctures, or if your CBD application is more of a topical process, it’s important to know what you’re buying. Many CBD products are made to fill a gap in the market without proper manufacturing.
At Poko, we not only believe in educating our customers on CBD and skincare, but we believe in what CBD in skincare can do. This is why our CBD is of the highest quality, grown and harvested with no chemicals or pesticides.
Our skincare range is divided into three ranges.
Our Rejuvenate range is specifically formulated for dry and dehydrated skin, helping to brighten skin, while retaining elasticity.
- Regenerating Collagen Moisturiser: For dry and normal skin, this moisturiser keeps skin supple and moisturised. Its active ingredients work to reduce fine lines and heal damage from UV rays and free agents. This product contains 300mg of CBD.
- Correcting Eye Cream: Formulated for the delicate under-eye skin, this eye cream assists in soothing puffiness and fading fine lines, while nourishing the sensitive skin under your eyes. This product contains 300mg of CBD.
- Luxury Facial Oil: A cocktail of nourishing botanical oils, this facial oil utilises the soothing properties of CBD to rejuvenate dry skin and hydrate oily skin. It assists in repairing the skin’s natural moisture barrier, protecting the skin from free radicals. This product contains 300mg of CBD.
Poko’s Radiance range is made to illuminate dull, tired skin. The addition of high-quality CBD can boost suppleness and hydration in skin.
Ultra Hydrating Moisturiser: The combination of CBD, aloe vera juice, and oat silk work together to protect skin from free radicals. This moisturiser works to boost skin hydration and lock in moisture, making it the perfect moisturiser after exfoliating. This product contains 100mg of CBD.
Poko’s Revive Range is formulated with oily and combination skin in mind. It balances skin, moisturising it to combat excess oil production.
Soothing Serum: This lightweight serum packs a punch by targeting oily, blemish prone skin. Its active ingredients help keep pores clear, while soothing skin and working to even out spot causing bacteria. This product contains 200mg of CBD.