The avocado has become a pop culture icon. Avocados are everywhere from our breakfast tables all the way to our skincare products. It is a superfood for the skin, it is filled with antioxidants like B-carotene, lecithin, and linoleic acid that help moisturise your skin from within.
Not only do we love eating avocados, but we also love putting it on our faces. Homemade avocado face masks are known for revitalising and moisturising the skin. This skin-friendly fruit contains minerals such as iron, calcium, potassium, copper, magnesium and more. The natural oils found in avocados hydrate the skin, and can also help with redness and inflammation.
There are many recipes for avocado face masks, but we have the perfect one for you.
What ingredients to add to an avocado face mask
Additional ingredients are optional when it comes to avocado face masks. Avocados on their own can be just as effective for the skin. However, using optional ingredients may add to their specific additional properties.
Avocado and honey
This is a simple and easy face mask to make. Adding raw honey to your avocado face mask can help to balance the bacteria in the skin, which makes it a great product to help soothe acne. Manuka honey is considered to be more effective with inflammation and redness, as well as healing blemishes.
Avocado and oatmeal
Oatmeal is another perfect ingredient to include in your avocado face mask. It can soak up the excess oil on your skin and help to soothe acne. It can also help to treat dry skin and remove dead skin cells with its antioxidant properties.
Avocado and yoghurt
Yoghurt is an all-around beauty multi-tasker. By adding yoghurt to your avocado face mask it will help to mildly exfoliate the skin, and act as a hydrating treatment. The gentle exfoliation will create a natural glow and help to prevent breakouts while working to diminish the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
Avocado and banana
Banana's are not just a mid-day snack, they are also the perfect additional ingredient to add to your avocado face mask. Banana's can help support the skin by keeping it moisturised, oil control, anti-ageing and to soothe acne.
Top tips to making an avocado face mask
- We suggest using a ripe avocado for the purpose of homemade face masks. (Ripe avocados may have a darker colour but colour can vary so it is best to go by feel as well as colour.)
- Place your avocado face mask in the fridge for a few minutes before applying it, this will keep it cool and refreshing.
- Adding an egg to your face mask will help to tighten your skin.
- Before application, remove your make-up with a cleanser and warm water. The face mask will provide you with the best results.
The perfect avocado face mask recipe
- Take 1 fully ripe fresh avocado, remove the skin and the seed. Scoop out the remaining avocado and mash it up into a creamy consistency in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and stir it in until it turns into a paste.
- Add 3 to 4 drops of the Poko Luxury Facial Oil, and mix together all of the ingredients. Adding a few drops of the facial oil will make the avocado face mask even more nourishing.
- Now you can begin to apply the avocado face mask to your skin. We suggest applying it with a flat brush for even distribution.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and rinse off face mask with lukewarm water and pat dry your face with a towel.
To finish off your pamper session we suggest applying our Correcting Eye Cream which is packed with avocado oil. The applicator can be used to dot the eye cream under the eye up to the brow bone, patting in gently until fully absorbed. Alternatively, use fingertips to tap in the product.
Tip: Apply our Ultra Hydrating Moisturiser to lock all of the moisture into your skin. This will provide you with a beautiful natural glow, the Poko Glow.